Yesterday was my birthday - Here is my gift to you: My pulled pork recipe w/ green apple tzatziki slaw. It's fool proof and delicious.
Things you'll need:
- Pork Shoulder- Usually I grab a decent sized hunk of for about $10 dollars and manage to make well over 8 servings.
- BBQ Sauce - My personal favourite is the Our compliments Tequila Lime but whatever is clever.
- Beer - preferably something malty. (Propeller Nocturne or Bitter is my choice)
- Green Apple - 2/3 makes a decent amount of slaw.
- Sriracha sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Dijon if you're feeling sassy.
Depending on the size of your slowcooker/pot you might want to cut the pork into a few pieces. Let that bone hang out in there.
1. Make a Rub. Nothing crazy - mine is usually mostly brown sugar with a little cumin, chilli powder, whatever is around.
2. Cut up some garlic and onion. Fry em up in the bottom of the slowcooker.
3. Throw dat pork in dere, bie.
Once your pork is covered in rub throw it in the slow cooker with some liquid. If you are boring you can use chicken/veg stock but I like to use beer or rootbeer. Something malty is great - Propeller Bitter or Nocturne Dark Lager is my favourite to use, but you can really use any beer - seriously, I used blue once - as long as you don't go too hoppy (cooking that for a long period can bring out some flavours you probably don't want.) I usually top it off with a splash of Dijon. Leave it on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours. Uncle fuckin' bobby.
4. BLAM. Porks ready to pull.
Pop that shiet out of the cooker, use two forks to pull it apart, remove the skin, bone, fat.
Drain the juices from the slow cooker and set aside.
Put the pork back in the slowcooker, add your BBQ sauce, add a bit of the liquid back (i like mine to be pretty moist but it's your call) and let sit for another half hour on low heat.
5. APPLE SLAW
So simple. Cut your green apple into matchsticks. Throw tzatziki in. Splash of sriracha sauce. Pepper. DONE.
6. Season your pork more - I use salt, pepper & sriracha sauce.
7. Assemble Sandwich. Apple slaw on bottom is the way to go but hey, be yourself.
8. Eat Sandwich.
9. Eat several more sandwiches.
10. Nap it off.
P.S. I do this with tofu simultaneously as well. I throw it right in with the Pork because my roommate/bandmate Kim is a pathetic excuse for a vegetarian but it's still delicious without those sweet, sweet, pork drippings.